It is difficult, but not impossible, to do some predictive work on trending keywords. One crucial task is to predict keyword volume, which, according to SEOMoz, you can do before the data appears in AdWords (PPC), Bing, or any other search engine. Predictive keyword research is an advanced technique, so it pays to learn the tricks of the trade if you want to utilize this technique successfully.
Trending keywords are important for two reasons. First, internet searches are event-driven; when something happens, there will be an upsurge in interest about that topic. This can produce large volume for content marketers. Second, unless you are in the news business, chances are your competitors have not begun to predict what will be trending, so you will have an edge with your marketing and advertising.
Here are a few tips to get you started on your quest to predict keyword volume and popularity.
- Stay on top of things. Read the latest information in your field on a daily basis. You cannot predict if you do not know what is currently trending. Look for interesting facts, figures, or information that comes out of that reading. What sparks your interest? Chances are, other people will be interested, too.
- Check out Q&A sites. There are sites specifically devoted to Q&A such as Quora and Formspring. These sites will tell you what people are currently asking about. Look for trends and opportunities that seem to repeat themselves, especially over a wide audience.
- Decide if you are a “longtailer” or a “fat header.” “Longtail” refers to a high volume of search terms, “fat head” to a few well-chosen ones. Both strategies have legitimate rationales, but it is important for you to decide which is most appropriate for your audience. Will your customers be looking for one or two specific phrases, or are there a variety of phrases they might use? Tailor your keywords to these facts.
- Write relevant content. No matter how good your keywords, poor content will not generate traffic. Be sure your content is relevant to both topic and audience.
- Publish and promote your content. This is not an event, it is a process. Check constantly for feedback on your performance, and analyze what is working and what is not. Do not be afraid to change things if they do not give you the results you want. Continue to monitor Q&A sites to see what people are talking about. Sometimes predictions on keyword volume sink out of sight without coming to fruition. This is not a failure but an occupational hazard. Pick something else and move on.
By following the basics of keyword optimization, you will generate traffic on your website over time. Bulletproof Digital has learned that learning to predict keyword strategies is a skill that takes time to master, but it can give you a keen competitive edge in a very crowded marketplace and make your website stand out from the crowd consistently—and that translates into a growing body of loyal users.